> Does any one know if there's a free upgrade for Director 8, just to fix
some bugs

> Nope...
> If there was, how would macromedia make money?

I think he was referring to something like the Director 7.02 updater for
D8 - that one WAS free

However, the answer is still no - the amount of extra work that went into
8.5 even if you remove the Shockwave 3D and Flash 5 support unfortunately
warrants a new version, not a simple service pack.