How should a non-programmer learn Lingo?

I'm a technical writer with no programming experience or knowledge. Last
year, my company bought Director 8 and said learn it and create a couple of
software demos. I managed to create decent demos, but I can see that had I
known Lingo, I could have made them so much better and reusable. I've worked
through the Lingo tutorials in DIRECTOR 8 and LINGO AUTHORIZED and have
studied sample code from various websites, but I still feel like I'm missing
some basic knowledge. I'm having a hard time transferring what I've learned
to writing my own Lingo. (Joining this list and learning through osmosis
hasn't worked yet either.:)

My question is: Would a general introduction to programming class be helpful
when trying to learn Lingo?

Thanks,

Philip