My guess is that it is "vestigial" from debugging.  If developing a
handler,  you sometimes want to put a breakpoint on the first line of
code so you know when you enter a routine.  But often, the first line
of code changes, or deleted, or you add new code at the top of a
handler.  A quick fix is to put a "nothing" statement at the
beginning of the handler and put a breakpoint on it.  That way, you
can change whatever code you want in the handler, but you still have
the first line with the breakpoint.

I do a similar thing sometimes when I'm running code and I want to
hit a "conditional" breakpoint only at a certain time.  In cases like
these, I might add some lines like this in a behavior (typically an
exitFrame handler):

     if the shiftDown then
         nothing
     end if

And add a breakpoint on the "nothing" statement.  Then I start the
program, and whenever I want to jump into the debugger, I just hold
down the shift key.

Irv

--

Lingo / Director / Shockwave development for all occasions.

   (Home-made Lingo cooked up fresh every day just for you.)