Al Hospers wrote

> so how do you have a slider behavior communicate with a
> QTPlaybackObject? or do you? the slider needs to know the current
> location of the movie. should it get the information itself from the
> movie, or should it retrieve it from the object - which is always
> monitoring the cuttent location? and of course the slider needs to
> control the movie. of course it will do so through the methods in the
> QTPlaybackObject.

The other week there was a thread about the evils of mutual
reference...which got me thinking about a situation like the one being
discussed here where, on first appearances, it would seem like the QTobject
would need to keep a reference to the control widgets (eg- to tell them to
switch to a disabled state whiles the media was getting ready) and the
widgets would need to keep a reference to the QToject (eg. to tell the
QTobject to play or fastforward)...  The mutual references could be avoided
with the widgets polling the QTobject (or visa versa), but that seems to be
taking a step backwards, and begs the question - is the abstraction (QT
object, separate control widgets) wrong? Or are there better alternatives to
mutual references?

Luke