> >2 - make the data public by making it a global variable
>
> I don't see where these globals come creeping in?
> In Lingo you can always access the properties of an object directly,
> but you "decide" not to do it.

I was just putting all of the options on the table.

> >3 - make it accessible via an accessor method
>
> Depends on the meaning of "it"!...  ;-)
> The Method is a capability of the object, and it is irrelevant to a
> client whether this capability is even internally represented by a
> property.
> There might be a coincidence between the data a "getter" method
> returns and a specific property, but that doesn't make the property
> public!

I agree

> But an essential focus of the original discussion was about *not*
> using "getters" ie. data requisition methods.
>
> I may spawn confusion with some misinterpretation, I'm just trying
> understand the article.
> I recommend reading the article.

could you please post the link to it so I can do so Jakob. obviously I
am missing that piece here.

Al Hospers
CamberSoft, Inc.
al<at>cambersoft<dot>com
http://www.cambersoft.com

Shockwave and Director development, Lingo programming, CGI scripting.

A famous linguist once said:
"There is no language wherein a double
positive can form a negative."

YEAH, RIGHT