This is my view, it's in an APF media release sent out today:

The biggest privacy risks to your My Health Record – the Government.

Whatever arguments are put up for and against My Health Record and the
current push to make it opt-out, there are two inescapable facts:

1. My Health Record is a Federal Government owned, controlled and
operated information system. The government collects your health data,
never deletes it and will keep it for at least 30 years after you die.
In addition to creating a record for every Australia who does not
opt-out and without asking or seeking your consent, it has extensive
legal powers to access, use and link this data also without your consent
and/or knowledge. It is unrealistic to believe that the government will
not use My Health Record data for many and various purposes. It has
already flagged some of those purposes; there will be more.

The government has also exempted itself from the framework for secondary
use of My Health Record system data [1], and considers itself some sort
of privileged user rather than the “third-party” everyone else believes
it is, including the AMA as quoted by the Parliamentary Library in its
scathing criticism of the claims of the Health Minister and the ADHA [2].

2. No matter what the government now claims about the laws and
regulations that protect the system your privacy and your security,
there is no way to enforce these or any other claims on future
governments. The system has already been changed from opt-in to opt-out;
the government removed the requirement to obtain your consent to
register you for a record and to acquire your data and disseminate it to
health care professionals.

These two facts are enough to demand the current My Health Record
opt-out program be suspended and the data currently in it deleted. It is
the only way that Australians can be assured that this and future
governments will not abuse our health data and our trust.

--

Regards
brd

Bernard Robertson-Dunn