> This sounds very nice but:
>
> 1. will this work when using SAF (I don't think so)?

No, it will work, but SAF will not be aware of it or manage it in any way.
If you do it manually, it'll work, but I don't make any guarantees about
SAF's ability to cope with manual changes outside it's purview.

> 2. how do I set this up?

Add the userid you want to control the virtual machine to the end of the
CONSOLE statement in the VM directory entry (use DIRM GET to grab the source
entry, edit the CONSOLE statement, DIRM PUT to update)

Make sure the controlling userid is logged on, and then shutdown/logoff the
Linux guest.  AUTOLOG the Linux guest, and you should start seeing console
output from the guest on the screen of the controlling userid.  You can then
send commands to the userid via CP SEND, eg: CP SEND LINUX1 cmd