On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Rob van der Heij wrote:

> I see that this logon through the console still does not show
> up in 'who' and I suspect that is related to this message?

Some program  (probably "getty" (one of mingetty, agetty, etc))
must maintain the utmp and wtmp files.   One lists who IS logged on,
the other lists who HAS logged on  (since the file was created;
try running  'last').

If you bypass that logic,  you get a stealth root shell.
I find it useful to NOT list it,  because 99 times out of 100
there isn't really anyone  "signed on".

>   bash: no job control in this shell

Not sure if that can be fixed by some simple  'stty'  work.