From: David Goodenough [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 3:59 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: VM for Intel?

But VMware and z/VM are entirely separate.  They both do much the same
thing, in fact one could almost say that z/VM and its ancestors inspired
VMware, but VMware is not produced by IBM, rather - as the item says, by
VMware Inc.

                    "Post, Mark K"
                    <mark.post@eds.        To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                    com>                   cc:
                    Sent by: Linux         Subject:     VM for Intel?
                    on 390 Port
                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                    ARIST.EDU>

                    02/19/02 03:16
                    PM
                    Please respond
                    to Linux on 390
                    Port

I received this item today from InfoWorld.  I'm wondering if anyone on the
IBM VM development team could comment if any part of z/VM is being
integrated into this software.  (Alan, Romney?)

PARTNERWORLD - IBM AND VMWARE WORK ON PARTITIONING TOOLS

Posted February 19, 2002 03:38 Pacific Time

SAN FRANCISCO -- - IBM Corp. and VMware Inc. announced a partnership
Tuesday
to work on improving partitioning software for high end Intel-based
servers.

Partitioning tools, once only common on mainframes, have made their way to
higher-end Unix servers, and now IBM and VMware are looking to add the same
software to servers with 16 or fewer Intel Corp. processors, said Jay
Bretzmann, director of xSeries server marketing at IBM. The companies have
developed a version of the software for IBM's x360 server and plan an
update
to the software for the third quarter that will be aimed at the high end of
the xSeries line.

For the full story:
http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/02/19/020219hnibmvm.xml?0219tuam