> But that was my question. Since IBM and VMWare are partnering on
> this effort, would IBM have contributed any sort of functionality
> lifted from z/VM? If not, why the partnership? ...

Mark: Just as IBM supports Linux across all four of our server lines,
we also wanted to support "partitioning" across all four of our server
lines. With this announcement (which we previewed at LinuxWorldExpo in
NYC), we now have that function available. There is no z/VM code in
VMware's ESX server (what IBM will be shipping on selected xSeries
servers).

Regards, Jim Elliott - Linux Advocate, IBM Canada