>But that was my question.  Since IBM and VMWare are partnering on this
>effort, would IBM have contributed any sort of functionality lifted from
>z/VM?  If not, why the partnership?  Romney has stated that there are going
>to be certain conceptual similarities, and I realized that from the
>beginning.  I was curious about just _how much_ similarity was going to
>wind
>up being there.

The main roadblock to VM-type systems on Intel is the lack of the hardware
support (which has been added to mainframe over the years) for efficient
virtualisation. SIE etc.

>There's been some discussion in the past (I think David
>Boyes brought it up) that there's no reason why z/VM couldn't emulate
>non-S/390 instructions on an S/390.

Well it might then be possible to run M$ code on an S/390... that's the best
possible reason for never doing any such thing...

More seriously, the question would have to be how and why? The performance
would *suck* - why waste all those MF mips emulating an Intel chip?

Mike