> Alan,
>
> Ok, so if /etc/init.d is the standard, why is that the symlink on the newer
> systems, rather than the other way around?  What kind of things would break
> if /etc/init.d was the real directory and the older convention used a
> symlink?

I don't recall the details, but Red Hat did try what you suggest. I
think it was in rawhide. I didn't get caught up in that one, but people
did complain about things that didn't work.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield

Microsoft's most solid OS: http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/

Note: mail delivered to me is deemed to be intended for me, for my
disposition.