> In fact Domino was rejected until they chattr or mounted EXT2 in -sync.
> >From my memory when I spoke to Claus and Greg here the ISV being required
> to make specific calls to a FS was hard to swallow. However, we did do
> this in 8.12

Standards exist for a reason. If there really is a problem with lack of
standards here it would be very good if Sendmail Inc raised it with
the Open Group for SuSv4. I support the need for a standard to handle
the directory name synchronizing.

> Humm, if you mean that you can mount EXT3 with options, then yes, but I
> rarely find folks that follow the "warning label". If you mean the forced
> fsync, yes, that too can be disabled, but I have not read wheter this is
> "wise" just saw in places that "you should still run fsync manually at
> times". This last area was specific to HA environments.

No I mean that it defines orderings and those orderings can handle buggy
software that assumes ancient 4BSD unix behaviour.