> Peter,
>
> If you want RPM to know about your version of Samba, you need to use RPM to
> manage the package.  If you installed the Samba 2.2.0a SRPM, then the source
> should have been put in /usr/src/packages/SOURCE, and the samba.spec file in
> /usr/src/packages/SPECS/.  You can go two routes with this.

I recommend that
a) You configure rpm to put source somewhere else. /usr is not a good place to
put source code.

b) You never ever build packages as root. It's astonishing how many packages can
cause injury to your build system.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield

Microsoft's most solid OS: http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/

Note: mail delivered to me is deemed to be intended for me, for my disposition.

If you don't like being told you're wrong,
        be right!