> Peter,
>
> What was the exact ./configure command you wound up issuing?

Peter
spec files have useful build instructions in them. Had you read the spec file for your
outgoing samba, you'd havr discovered

a) The need for ./configure
b) A good model for the one you actually needed.

The need for ./configure is pretty standard. The experience ganed here will stand you
in good stead for most of the software you will actually need.

btw Something I am curious about is the cost of compiling software on, say, your
top-end S/390 or zSeries compared with the cost of doing the same build on your
high-end PC (Athlon XP or P IV).

If cost is hard to figure, elapsed time would be a good starting-point.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield

Microsoft's most solid OS: http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/

Note: mail delivered to me is deemed to be intended for me, for my disposition.

If you don't like being told you're wrong,
        be right!