As with all questions about performance, the answer is: "it depends"
(tm--Bill Bitner, IBM Endicott). The time it takes to clone a Linux image
can be broken down into the following parts:
1) create the new virtual machine definition
2) copy whatever read/write disks are needed
3) do the Linux network configuration for the new Linux image

Steps 1 and 3 usually take at most 1 or 2 seconds of processor time, even on
the smallest S/390 systems, as these steps don't involve much work. Step 2,
copying the read/write disk(s) can take anywhere from a few 10s of seconds,
to 10 to 20 minutes, depending on the disk hardware in use and the method of
disk copying employed (DDR, PIPE trackread/trackwrite, etc.). If the disks
are "small" and the dasd hardware a SHARK or similar caching device, then
the changes are good that the entire disk will fit inside the device' cache,
making copying it very fast for the 2nd and later times. If the device is a
real 3380/3390 and the disk is an entire pack then the copy time will be
measured in minutes and not seconds. On the other hand, new devices (e.g.,
StorTek's dasd systems) support an almost "instant" or "flashcopy" function,
so that creating a new Linux clone image can be completed in 1-2 seconds on
a z800 processor.

Hope this helps.

Dave Jones
Sine Nomine