On Wednesday, 09/04/2002 at 12:53 AST, Tung-Sing Chong/Endicott/IBM@IBMUS
wrote:
> Phil,
>
> I was running the cloning demo (using IUCV) in the last Linuxworld. The
> demo was running on a z800  with the latest shark. The images that was
> created have 64m virtual memory and 150 cylinders R/W "/", 100 cylinders
> swap disk,  R/O /usr  and R/O /usr/src. The first images take about 15
> seconds. Through out the day we created more than 500 images and it
average
> out between 30-45 seconds.
>
> The redpaper using larger minidisk and VQDIO and I have not have a
chance
> to running on the same z800 with the shark.

Chong, I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that by "VQDIO" you
mean z/VM V4R3 guest LANs with virtual OSA Express (QDIO mode).

To Phil:  The amount of time to clone is highly dependent (naturally) on
the DASD subsystem.  Different technologies can and do yield drastically
different times.  So, asking "what's the fastest" is different than
"what's the fastest Chong achieved using his evironment and techniques".

Alan Altmark
Sr. Software Engineer
IBM z/VM Development