>       It'd be nice if the DASD boxes could have a "copy on write" feature
> akin to
>       the Linux memory manager;  This kind of technology would be
> reasonable for
>       handling things like R/O images.  Or am I confusing this with GPFS?

No, that's essentially how the feature works.  You ask for a point-in-time copy of a
DASD
image - the controller says 'Done' immediately and you can start using it.  The
controller
starts a real copy operation in the background.  If you read a page that hasn't been
copied
yet, you get the original.  If you read one that's been copied, you get the copy.  If
you
write one, it's written where it should go in the copy and the controller makes a note
not to
overwrite it with the original when it gets around to that page.

Various brand names - Storage Technology was first with 'Snapshot'.

--
  Phil Payne
  http://www.isham-research.com