So according to the statements below...I CAN use SUSE SLES7
to play the guest lan game, using QDIO instead of virtual hipersockets?
Am I correct in this assumption?
Any testimony from someone who has setup guest lans with SUSE SLES7?
Tia
Dave Myers

Adam said...
Now, you're using SuSE, so that may be a stumbling block too.  IIRC, the
totally-free version (beer, not speech, for those of you keeping score
at home) of SuSE doesn't do HiperSockets.  But if you have either the
$500 trial or a support contract then you have access to the service
releases, which do let you use HiperSockets.  And if you don't, then
(IMHO) you shouldn't be using SuSE--if you're going to be your own
support, you may as well be your own support with a less antiquated

Rober said...
No hardware hipersockets doesn't necessarily mean that you can't use the
guest LAN.  Are you using the evaluation version of SuSE 7.2 or are you using
the old SuSE with the 2.2.16 kernel?  If the former you can define a guest
LAN and set up SuSE to use it.  If the latter, then you are definitely stuck
using point to point.

Carlos said:
I think that as long as your distribution of Linux supports QDIO (which
2.2.16 does) you can define a "qdio" (instead of a "hipers" one) guest lan
under zVM 4.3 and use qdio/qeth. (I think! haven't tried it) Carlos :-)