We do certifiy through normal QA process SuSE SLES, RH Adv Srv for example
on Intel systems, and SuSE SLES on zSeries, this is the commercial
products, and I mention this because the thread started about Oracle from
what I read. Oracle has several levels from what I remember, one called
Validation like here:

http://www.suse.com/en/business/certifications/certified_software/oracle/certified.html

SAP has something similar to the above, I even rememebr one tech doc
telling you to put a SuSE Kernel on top of a Redhat install to be
certified.

Most ISVs IMHO need to protect themselves somewhat on Linux because it is
a platform that can have any level of changes applied at the end-user
level. Meaning, we know what Solaris level or NT level works through QA
processes, but what if somebody calls me and says I am running SuSE SLES
with 2.4.18, but I find they have patched the kernel with pre-emptive
stuff, or any number of things that seemed interesting in the dev
community, or say new glibc, and now Sendmail filters or something are not
working correctly. So you see we have to pick certain levels of the
platform and QA that and call it "known to work". You find an issue, we
can reproduct that internally on the same platform, much more reasonable
to keep quality control.

Most HW vendors also certify against known version levels too, obviously
for driver sakes, in fact I have heard rumour once that Compaq did more QA
of Linux for that very reason than the Linux vendor themselves.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/linux/hpLinuxcert-dl.html

Regards,

Jon

Jon R. Doyle