On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Bill Stermer wrote:

> Some comments:
>
> Quote from article:
> "When I was a developer, I found that about 10 percent of the work you
> did was writing new functionality. The rest of the work to build
> enterprise-ready technology involved things like the testing and the
> upgrade path. The 10 percent is the fun stuff; the 90 percent is the
> heavy lifting. We have done a great job of learning what it means to do
> the heavy lifting, but I don't think the (Linux) community has focused
> as much in focusing on that 90 percent"
>
> Comment:
> I just had a friend the other night try to upgrade a Windows98 system
> to WindowsXP. The installer Wizard let him without any complaint. No
> warnings about compatibility issues or anything. He then installed a
> wireless card with drivers and that install trashed his system. When he
> went to recover using the supplied XP tools it further trashed his
> system so he could not even boot. He called tech support for the
> wireless card and was told it is an operating system error and once he
> got that fixed just download the newest drivers from the website. Some
> upgrade path, a little more "heavy lifting" type programming all around
> would have saved my friend a frustrating couple of days.

I also wish that every OS would give me the same upgrade path debian gives
me.

> Quote from article:
> "I still believe Linux is an extension of the Unix paradigm. It's a
> command-line-focused approach that's not particularly designed to be
> user friendly. The Windows approach is very different.

Read: windows is not scriptable.

> I will say that
> the adoption of Linux is likely to be bounded by how many companies are
> happy with Unix. Will it have an ability to be persuasive to people that
> it's a more cost-effective version of Unix? Yes. For us the key
> challenge in 2003 will be speaking to Unix users about why they ought
> to use Windows on Intel rather than Linux on Intel."

I always thought that it was easier to write a GUI to a scriptable system
than to make a GUI system scriptable...

Aparantly I was right.

Anyway, so far they did a very bad job at this. Their had to stretch the
facts really hard to get a TCO study that would say so)

Also note: now they try to say that linux is "something of IBM". This
strategy will only work until HP will show more public interest in linux
;-)

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]