On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 17:21, you wrote:
> > Comment:
> > I just had a friend the other night try to upgrade a Windows98 system
> > to WindowsXP. The installer Wizard let him without any complaint. No
> > warnings about compatibility issues or anything. He then installed a
> > wireless card with drivers and that install trashed his system. When he
> > went to recover using the supplied XP tools it further trashed his
> > system so he could not even boot. He called tech support for the
> > wireless card and was told it is an operating system error and once he
> > got that fixed just download the newest drivers from the website. Some
> > upgrade path, a little more "heavy lifting" type programming all around
> > would have saved my friend a frustrating couple of days.
>
> I also wish that every OS would give me the same upgrade path debian gives
> me.

I'm not sure where this is going, and I may regret this....

I've just this minute finished upgrading a Pentium from Woody to Unstable.

Taken singly, it was easy enough I guess, but I'd hate to do ten of them.

OTOH, RHL with which I'm much more familiar, is a piece of cake in comparison,
especially with lots of them.

Sure, there's a lot to like in Debian, but the installer sure isn't one of
them.

> > Quote from article:
> > "I still believe Linux is an extension of the Unix paradigm. It's a
> > command-line-focused approach that's not particularly designed to be
> > user friendly. The Windows approach is very different.
>
> Read: windows is not scriptable.

Not _quite_ true. Some years ago I write a script (standard dosish batch file)
to pack some data up and send it off to an MVS system using the standard NT
ftp client. However, I never found anything to compare with what I could do
in OS/2 where I could easily customise its equivalent to the Windows
registry.

> > I will say that
> > the adoption of Linux is likely to be bounded by how many companies are
> > happy with Unix. Will it have an ability to be persuasive to people that
> > it's a more cost-effective version of Unix? Yes. For us the key
> > challenge in 2003 will be speaking to Unix users about why they ought
> > to use Windows on Intel rather than Linux on Intel."
>
> I always thought that it was easier to write a GUI to a scriptable system
> than to make a GUI system scriptable...
>

> Aparantly I was right.

As best I can figure it, Bill hasn't tried. Either that, or the facility is an
extra-charge item. Most people would regard OS/2 s a GUI-based system, though
in truth you can run it without a GUI or even replace the GUI with another.
I've done both.

And, it's well scriptable. You can do almost anything in REXX (a standard,
fully-documented component of the base OS) that you can do in Perl (and you
can do almost anything in Perl you can do in REXX).

--
Cheers
John Summerfield

Microsoft's most solid OS: http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/