A bigger question might be
why must vmpoff be in upper case??

> debian:/devel/kernel/scratch/linux-2.4.19/arch/s390/kernel#
>               cmsfscat -a -f /dev/dasd/0191/disc ipllin.exec

Nice to see someone is using CMS FS!    ;-)

> /* */
> iplline = 'CP IPL DEB24M PARM LINE vmpoff="IPL CMS"'
> say iplline
> iplline
>
> So where and why is vmpoff being turned into VMPOFF ?

The way REXX passes that command to CP
translates the whole thing to upper case.
If you want to issue a mixed case CP command,  you must do

        iplline = 'CP IPL DEB24M PARM LINE vmpoff="IPL CMS"'
        say iplline
        Call Diag 08, iplline

or something like it.
And this of course requires that one be running CMS
or a guest that will issue a DIAG 08.   Entering CP commands
from the virtual console without the aid of a guest OS
takes you through the upper-casing interface of CP itself.

I say Leland's translate-to-lower should stay!
VMPOFF processing could be a lot smarter.
And this is getting very messy.

-- RMT