John wrote:

"Under MVS, PAV is under the control of WLM to
determine when to create a new alias address to a
given
base address and then take it back later."

That's only true for dynamic PAV's. If you use static
PAV's and make the simpler assumption that amount of
data behind the volume is the driving factor, then a
mod-9 image needs 3 PAV's to perform as well as a
mod-3 and a mod-27 needs 9 PAV's. Using manual tuning
to give a somewhat even distribution of I/O, the
simple rule-of-thumb may be stoneage compared to WLM,
but is still workable.

However, I suspect the OCO problem is what's holding
things up. The dasd susbsystem business is cutthroat
and keeping any advantage is of paramount importance.
Its the same as the QDIO OCO issue (except that
everyone else is getting out of the mainframe
business).

=====
Jim Sibley
Implementor of Linux on zSeries in the beautiful Silicon Valley

"Computer are useless.They can only give answers." Pablo Picasso