From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Kern, Thomas
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2004 11:51 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux under VM and Cloning

The production copy of the /usr minidisk is NEVER linked RW by anyone. I
have a separate maintenance instance where I install and maintain the
linux
system. It has a /usr minidisk of the same size as the production /usr
minidisk. Both minidisks are OWNED by a placeholder named LNXDASD at
virtual
addresses 1000 and 1001. When I am ready to put a new /usr into
production,
I properly shutdown the maintenance user and the first of the production
servers. I modify the directory entry of the first production user to
use
the new /usr minidisk (ie change LINK LNXDASD 1000 0592 RR to LINK
LNXDASD
1001 0592 RR). Then I bring up the production server and make any local
changes necessary like copy files from /usr/upgrade/sbin to /sbin, or
/usr/upgrade/etc to /etc. I test that server and when I am satisfied
that it
works there as well as it did in the maintenance/test server, I move to
the
next production server and repeat. When ALL production servers are using
the
new /usr, I DDR copy the production level /usr minidisk (now 1001) to
the
old minidisk (1000) and modify the maintenance user's directory entry to
use
the 1000 minidisk for /usr and start all over again. Until this point,
my
backout is to switch the server back to the old /usr minidisk, ipl and
fix
local files.

/Thomas Kern
/301-903-2211