> We are going with a lot of Linux Guests under VM. Close to 20
> per IFL and are wondering about the experiences with the
> basevol/guestvol scenario. How many People accually use this
> scenario?

At least a dozen of our customers do. CA obviously does (see Bill's
paper). It's proven to be a pretty good choice when you need a lot of
fairly similar machines that don't change configuration too often.

> How much DASD does this really save you? Is it
> worth the time and effort it takes to set this up?

It depends a lot on how well-behaved your applications are in terms of
keeping all their files together. A lot of ISVs violate Mother's Second
Rule (Thou Shalt Not Mix Your Code and System Code), which makes it more
a maintenance issue than a disk space issue.

IF your application is well-behaved enough to keep all it's pieces
together, then it makes a fair amount of difference.

> Could you
> just setup Links to specific disks in VM for a Guest like if
> you just wanted to share the binaries for say Oracle, or the
> /usr directory or /home directory?

No, because in the case of Oracle and a lot of the ISV software you
mentioned, the application wants to dump code outside the directory that
holds the main binaries. You also need to have write access to the RPM
catalog and some other stuff (something I consider to be a design flaw
in RPM -- no provision for concatenated user and system software
catalogs).

/home is difficult because of the multi-system caching problem -- virtal
machines are really separate systems, and each does separate caches of
R/W data that are completely ignorant of each other. Without something
like AFS or GFS to coordinate writes, you get bad corruption problems.
Best solution there is to use NFS or one of the more sophisticated
filesystems mentioned previously to handle /home.

> Wouldn't this accomplish
> the same thing? What would be the best way to go about this?

See above. You're somewhat mixing up two problems: shared resources and
operational maintenance.  The basevol/guestvol concept is attempting to
handle the operational maintenance problem (ie, how do you distribute
fixes and do configuration control). Sharing disks takes it into
configuration management (how do I share binaries, but deal with the
fact that the applications expect stuff to appear in places outside the
directory holding the binaries).

"Best" is a hard thing to define. What I'd suggest is:

1) Use the basevol/guestvol setup to manage the system configuration
information and /usr, which tend not to be particularly volatile
(changes are usually infrequent).

2) Set up a separate guest LAN and create some dedicated guests for the
function of NFS file servers. Mount the "shared" application information
via NFS, ie /opt, /usr/local, etc. Same thing for shared R/W filesystems
like /home.

2a) (more sophisticated variation) Set up separate guest LAN and use
some dedicated guests as AFS servers. This takes more sophistication at
the start, but it's more scalable and secure than NFS, and allows better
disk management from a enterprise standpoint.

>  Does SUSE support the basevol/guestvol out
> of the box, or are their some packages that need installing
> to make this work?

Not out of the box -- it's a configuration decision, not a code thing.
It requires modifying two of the SuSE startup scripts to overmount the
common /etc with the system specific ones during boot.

> How stable is it running under this
> basevol/guestvol scenario?

Very. Maintenance planning is the key to making this work. Day to day,
it's a no-brainer.

I'd venture to say that if more ISVs used a method like this, we'd
finally be able to stamp out the assumption that it's OK to scatter
files around the filesystem, and end up with a lot better world. I'm
*very* glad that CA has adopted this approach. Now we need to work on
IBM, and Tivoli, and ...

8-(

-- db