I doupt we have device queuing on CP-owned volumes.

Minidisks?  Is there anything other than minidisks?

Everything is on minidisks or full pack minus one cylinder minidisks.

Just wait until you have some idiot (me) relabel VSE packs which happen
to cover cylinder 0 and then months later, IPL VM and things just don't
work right.  You get called in at 2am to figure out what happened.  What
do you mean the packs are gone!  Did we have a head crash?

Wasting a cylinder a pack is a small price to pay for less trouble
calls.  And with minidisks, you have the option of MDC.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

Are folks getting excessive device queuing on CP-owned volumes in
their
production environments?  From what I read here, it seems like
relatively
few people put Linux data on minidisks, preferring (for a variety of
reasons) to use fullpack minidisks or volumes carved to size.  And our
paging rates (without PAV) are nothing to sneeze at.

I'm not arguing against PAV, but I'm curious whether the benefit of
PAV
for CP-owned volumes would be real or just wishful thinking.

Alan Altmark
Devil's Advocate
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott

send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO LINUX-390
or visit