> Well, if you're just doing z/Linux, you can throw one hell of a fast
box
> at
> the problem with Hercules for what you would spend on Flex-ES.

This is *very* true. A 8 core name-brand Opteron system with 16G of RAM
prices out at a little under $7K list. Whitebox Opteron systems are
about $1K cheaper. 3.5 TB of disk will cost you about another $3K. About
the only thing missing is OSA Express L2 support, AFAIK -- which is
really useful to support VSWITCHes.

> > In such an environment, lack of VM might not matter so much, the
> > virtualisation could be done natively rather than in the emulated
> > environment.
>
> Indeed. Simply run multiple copies of Hercules. This only works, of
> course,
> as long as you're not doing things that depend on z/VM...

Or (more generally) depending on easy expansion of virtualization.

I'd argue the above is essentially the same argument as Linux in LPAR.
You win on hardware availability, but you lose big time on
manageability, which is (IMHO) the biggest argument for Linux on Z in
the first place.