My past installations have used 4 same-sized v-disk areas with ascending
priorities. I was under the impression that Linux references an entire
v-disk when it goes to swap, so smaller v-disks would be more efficient.
But I'm not sure that's completely true. I want to simplify the fstab
configuration and reduce the potential memory footprint, so I'm thinking
of 1 moderate size v-disk, backed by 1 larger lower-priority DASD. The
pair can be sized to whatever the applications require.

You're correct that it *does* make sense to have multiple vdisks for
swap. The reason for that is the fact that Linux prefers to take fresh
slots on the swap disk rather than re-use old slots that became free.
Unfortunately VM does not know that Linux does not need those freed
slots so it will go and write the pages to paging disk. That will
eventually make your swap device slow.
If you have vdisks for swap with different priority, Linux is forced
to re-use the top one before using something else. The frequent
references to that top disk also prevent that from being paged out
when possible.
The optimal size for those disks depends on the workload, but there's
the rule of diminishing damage. Because the 2nd disk does not get used
that much, the impact of slightly worse behavior is less as well. I
think I once suggested to start with half the virtual machine size and
double the size at each layer. That rule of thumb breaks with virtual
machines > 4GB :-)

Your performance monitor will show you various things of the virtual
disk. Like virtual I/O rate, resident pages, and paged out pages and
paging rate. You want the top disk to be large enough that it still is
used for swapping by Linux (and not sits there with swapped out stuff
that is never referenced) and small enough that it does not get paged
a lot by VM.
If your memory requirements in Linux are very dynamic, you want the
same analysis for the 2nd layer.

Swapping to disk is only good for one thing, and that is to slow down
the Linux server. While z/VM 5.2 does not slow it down as good as z/VM
5.1, swapping to disk is still pretty slow. If you don't mean to slow
down Linux but only allocate swap space on disk "just in case" and not
swap at it, why not give that to CP for paging device and give the
virtual machine another big virtual disk. If you don't use the virtual
disk, it's almost for free. When you do need to use it, it may be
pretty quick if CP has real resources for you.

I know someone who runs virtual machines with 16GB of swap space on
vdisk each. You would need to monitor the behaviour of the system and
set your tuning parameters right to prevent damage, but it can be very
effective.

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij