On 9/29/06, Adam Thornton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Sep 29, 2006, at 7:09 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> My past installations have used 4 same-sized v-disk areas with
> ascending
> priorities. I was under the impression that Linux references an entire
> v-disk when it goes to swap, so smaller v-disks would be more
> efficient.
> But I'm not sure that's completely true. I want to simplify the fstab
> configuration and reduce the potential memory footprint, so I'm
> thinking
> of 1 moderate size v-disk, backed by 1 larger lower-priority DASD. The
> pair can be sized to whatever the applications require.
>
> Does anyone have a swap setup that optimizes performance and resource
> usage, i.e., more small v-disks vs fewer big ones, inclusion of real
> disk, etc.?

Depending on how big the guest is, I usually cascade three swap
VDISKS of increasing size and decreasing (meaning the pri= number
gets bigger), and then if I need it, a big swap on real disk below that.

You could eliminate two of these VDISKS if you wanted.

Adam

We had problems when we ran out of SWAP space and the system locked up.
At that time we had a v-disk of 512 MB only.  We added two more SWAP
spaces with a lower priority of 2 GB each.  The linux guest machine
has 4 GB of real memory defined.  I have noticed that going over 512
GB of SWAP on the v-disk is a very rare occurence.  am I better off
with two additional SWAP spaces or should I break them up into smaller
ones?