On 9/29/06, Brandt, Mark H <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Are there any plans for IBM and Novell to address this in the future
with a patch to the kernel and re-use old slots?

It would need to be something that works for all platforms, not just
for our virtual disks.
The idea is that by using fresh slots you have a better chance to
build long chains of adjacent blocks in a single I/O operation. If
utilization is low enough, the "moving cursor" is an easy way to do
that.
With vdisk we're willing to take the overhead of many small I/O
operations because the device is already fast enough (especially when
your driver can exploit synchronous I/O completion).

Managing multiple swap disks IMHO for each Linux is not an ideal
solution.

Am I overlooking something or is it just the extra entries in your
fstab and the setup of the disks on VM ? Would your life be easier
when CP would do the mkswap for you? I once suggested an enhancement
to DEF VDISK ... LIKE <name>   where <name> is the a DCSS that has the
correct initial layout (because internally the structures are
similar). But I think the idea is on the big pile outside behind
building 250 in Endicott.

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij