I'd have to check the process structs in kernel space
to know for sure  (and we all have the source code),
but I believe POSIX groups are limitted to 10
and carried along with the process.

The point is that 'id' doesn't go back and read /etc/group
when it reports what groups "root" is in.  It only shows
what groups are in the current list-o-groups for that process.

So you're saying that you normally run through login (getty)
and for some reason that has the shorter list than what you get
when you run through 'sudo'.  Is that correct?  I agree:  weird.
Bothers me that 'sudo' and 'getty' are doing things differently.
Might have to check if 'getty' is doing things on its own
or if it is running through /bin/login.

-- R;