>>> On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 10:21 AM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "McKown,
John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Yes, I know this will be a stupid question. But I will ask anyway
> because I have no fear (or was that no sense?). A zAAP engine is used by
> z/OS to run Java code. The only reason for such an engine was because of
> the CPU demands of Java and the fact that adding the required CPU power
> using a general purpose engine would drive up the other software costs.
> That is, a zAAP engine is a marketing ploy to "sell" Java (an maybe some
> other Java-dependant software such as WAS). It is not a solution to a
> technical problem with Java on z/OS. Therefore, there is no need/reason
> for Linux on System z to ever support a zAAP (or zIIP or other specialty
> engine which is "marketing" oriented). True?

Understand that _all_ the specialty engines are "marketing" driven.  There's no
technical problem being solved by an IFL, either.  They're all intended to make
"new workloads" more attractive on System z hardware.  The IFL was first, which
caused a bit of an uproar in the z/OS customer base, so the zIIPs and zAAPs
weren't far behind.

One thing about the zIIPs to keep in mind is that only up to 40% of "eligible"
DB2 workload can be offloaded.  You'd need more than a couple CPs worth of DB2
workload to be eligible to fully utilize one.  That's not the case on an IFL,
and as Robert pointed out, if there is a lull in the incoming DB2 work, that
capacity can be used by z/VM or other guests.

Now, if the version of DB2 that is available for Linux would only be upgraded
to have all the features and functionality of the z/OS version, it would be
much easier to move workload from standard CPs to IFLs.  Which, perhaps, is the
reason why that hasn't happened so far.