Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU> wrote on 05/23/2007 11:40:26 AM:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "McKown,
> John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Yes, I know this will be a stupid question. But I will ask anyway
> > because I have no fear (or was that no sense?). A zAAP engine is used by
> > z/OS to run Java code. The only reason for such an engine was because of
> > the CPU demands of Java and the fact that adding the required CPU power
> > using a general purpose engine would drive up the other software costs.
> > That is, a zAAP engine is a marketing ploy to "sell" Java (an maybe some
> > other Java-dependant software such as WAS). It is not a solution to a
> > technical problem with Java on z/OS. Therefore, there is no need/reason
> > for Linux on System z to ever support a zAAP (or zIIP or other specialty
> > engine which is "marketing" oriented). True?
>
> Understand that _all_ the specialty engines are "marketing" driven.
> There's no technical problem being solved by an IFL, either.
> They're all intended to make "new workloads" more attractive on
> System z hardware.  The IFL was first, which caused a bit of an
> uproar in the z/OS customer base, so the zIIPs and zAAPs weren't far behind.
>
> One thing about the zIIPs to keep in mind is that only up to 40% of
> "eligible" DB2 workload can be offloaded.  You'd need more than a
> couple CPs worth of DB2 workload to be eligible to fully utilize
> one.  That's not the case on an IFL, and as Robert pointed out, if
> there is a lull in the incoming DB2 work, that capacity can be used
> by z/VM or other guests.
>
> Now, if the version of DB2 that is available for Linux would only be
> upgraded to have all the features and functionality of the z/OS
> version, it would be much easier to move workload from standard CPs
> to IFLs.  Which, perhaps, is the reason why that hasn't happened so far.
>

> Mark Post

While the zIIPS and zAAPS and IFL's may be all ideas brought forth by
marketing, the fact is, they exist. I know that there are folks out there that
would love to see a zAAP processor be available to deal with Java within
WebSphere, without having to incur any z/VM and/or Linux processor license
charges.

WebSphere in a large scale environment is exceptionally resource hungry in both
memory and cycles. I personally feel it would be cost effective over
the life of a z/series processor to toss a couple zAAPS into the z/VM & Linux
on z/Series mix and not have to pay additional z/VM charges and Linux
license charges as those processors would be dedicated only to Java processing.
I would think that would help sell WebSphere for Linux on z/Series,
not harm it.

As far as a Linux full fledged DB2 is concerned, I can say that if the Linux
DB2 were feature set identical to the z/OS version we would have
converted it to Linux already. That does not help IBM in the software licensing
department, however.

-J