For those customers that are not running WebSphere on z/OS but entirely on
Linux for z/Series and need additional capacity to support WebSphere
related Java overhead that yes, over a 5 year recovery you win if you don't
have to pay z/VM IFL processor license charges and Novell/Redhat/your
service vendor processor license charges.

If you've managed to browbeat WebSphere into running on z/OS (Well OK,
WebSphere 5 was a bear I dunno about 6) then no I don't think its worth the
expense to shuffle the cards to move the workload. Just as a zAAP processor
helps in the z/OS land from having to pay every vendor you have more money
cuz WAS is being a glutton, to a lesser degree, it would help in the z/VM &
WebSphere on Linux world. Enough so to make it worth marketing? Dunno. It
could however make the decision to add processor capacity less painful than
adding IFL's and incurring higher z/VM and Linux vendor maintenance
charges.  It would make the capacity cheaper to buy as a zAAP than as an IFL by
that amount.  I don't know what the savings would be, but I would have
to think that it would reduce the 5 year cost of engines plus software license
charges over that of IFL's. The caveat of course is having enough JAVA
workload in the first place since a zaap under z/VM would serve the same
function - execute java code.

-J

             Mark Post <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
             Sent by: Linux on 390 Port
             <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU

                                                                   cc
             05/23/2007 02:42 PM

                                                              Subject
                                                                     Re: OK - a
really stupid question.
                            Please respond to
               Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

>>> On Wed, May 23, 2007 at  3:09 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
James Melin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU> wrote on 05/23/2007 11:40:26 AM:
-snip-
> I personally feel it would be cost effective over
> the life of a z/series processor to toss a couple zAAPS into the z/VM & Linux
> on z/Series mix and not have to pay additional z/VM charges and Linux
> license charges as those processors would be dedicated only to Java
> processing. I would think that would help sell WebSphere for Linux on
> z/Series,
> not harm it.

Do you really think that moving enough WebSphere workload from z/OS to Linux,
turning off a CP and turning on an IFL would be more expensive than
leaving things as they are?  Somehow I doubt that, but I don't have any prices
to verify the gut feeling.