On Tuesday, 05/22/2007 at 01:39 AST, Gregg Levine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> According to what I remember from earlier discussions, a 9672 family
> member is a 32 bit machine, and can only run releases of z/VM leading
> up to probably 4.4. And amongst the Linux distributions out there,
> only ones who still contain 32 bit based kernels.

It is an S/390 architecture machine, capable of running in 24- and 31-bit
addressing mode.  That means it can run includes VM/ESA, z/VM Version 3,
and z/VM Version 4.  As you say, the last S/390-capable z/VM was z/VM
V4.4.

> I am looking at furthering my interests in things Linux and certainly
> z/VM and regular VM,

z/VM *is* "regular VM".  :-)

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development