On 5/25/07, John Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> And this happened shortly after the RS/6000 basic design was
> announced, figure about 1995 or so. Perhaps as late as 1998.
> It was at a UNIX Expo.

Gregg, this would have been the 1989-1990 timeframe;  the first
RS/6000 systems running AIX 3 were first pre-released around
that time.  The PC/RT pre-dated that by quite a bit more.

I recall having had, as recently as 5 years ago, some RS/6000
model 520s and 530s in my lab that had stickers with a date
showing when they were updated to meet the GA level... and it
was amazing that they could actually run AIX 4.3.3, albeit not
very quickly.

--------------------
John R. Campbell, Speaker to Machines (GNUrd), Stand-Up Philosopher
Phone: (813) 356-5322 (t/l 697)
Adsumo ergo raptus sum
MacOS X: Because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging
Windows.
Red Hat Certified Engineer (#803004680310286)
IBM Certified: IBM AIX 4.3 System Administration, System Support

Hello!
John you are indeed correct, that's when I first saw the Viking ads
for the RS/600 in its original form.

The Open MVS on a 9672 with the RS/6000 units came later. (I do know
the machine wasn't happy about the whole idea.)

--
Gregg C Levine [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"This signature was once found posting rude