On Friday, 06/29/2007 at 09:36 AST, "Richards.Bob"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Out of curiosity, Alan, why aren't z/VM writes "timestamped"?

Host-generated timestamps are part of the older XRC architecture ("z/OS
Global Mirror") that z/VM can't really use.  When multiple LPARs or CECs
are involved, you need a single time source (Sysplex Timer or STP) to
ensure that I/Os will be reordered properly at the other end.  z/VM
doesn't do time synchronization.

Also, XRC is not available to Open systems, and CP has to be able to
operate in a SCSI environment (z/OS does not).  We didn't want to invest
in two technologies.

XRC rebranding to "z/OS Global Mirror" helps us drive home the point that
it is intended for use only by z/OS.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott