On Sunday, 07/22/2007 at 04:37 EDT, Ingo Adlung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Actually we use "Linux for System z" to qualify the *distributions* that
> specifically support z achitecture

Make that "z/Architecture".  :-)

I think everyone has said the same thing: There is no generic term for
Linux on the [IBM] mainframe.  Sure, IBM has its own rules for what to
use, but that's just our effort to provide consistency and to avoid
disturbing other IBM trademarks.

The rest of the world is free to call it whatever it wants, modulo
trademarks.  Of course, the easiest way to do that is to simply call it
"Linux" and derive "on [architecture]" from the the context.  If it's
ambiguous, provide more context.  E.g. "Does Linux exploit the crypto
hardware on System z?"  If one asks that question on LINUX-390, we can all
assume "on System z".

I speculate that the now-abandoned "z/Linux" trademark that belonged to
TurboLinux was problematic on the "liklihood for confusion" front, with
IBM's use of "z/" in its registered trademarks, and the fact that "Linux"
is a registered trademark in its own right.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott