Mark Post wrote:
On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at  5:08 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, R P Herrold
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007, Mark Post wrote:

Master Resource Control: runlevel S has been reached
Give root password for login:

Looks the same to me.  Same results for "telinit 1" as well.
possibly a bootloader password.  that is not the customary
login password prompt challenge.

No, that wasn't a prompt for a boot loader password.  No such thing exists on
mainframe Linux.  (Or if it does, and no one told me, I certainly haven't
turned it on.)  That was from the 3215 console after issuing the telinit
command.  It comes from /sbin/sulogin, which is what is invoked via
/etc/inittab in single user mode:
# what to do in single-user mode
ls:S:wait:/etc/init.d/rc S
~~:S:respawn:/sbin/sulogin

One can (subject to security policies) change that to invoke bash.

unless one has really good security (better than I've seen), that's a
fairly pointless effort at securing the system.

If your disk is encrypted, you win, unless the stakes are high enough to
make it worth trying to get your keys.

If I can mount your disk I win.

If I can boot from my media, I win.

If I can type stuff at the bootloader (assuming it exists) and it's not
protected with a password, I win with "init=/bin/bash"

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait