On 8/21/07, Mark Post <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Bill Dodge
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> -snip-
> > Ah!  SLES 10!  The last time I did it was SLES 7. :-)
>
> Betsie was right, SLES9 as well.  Even Slackware does this now.
>
> It's controlled by what's in /etc/inittab, if anyone is interested in
> modifying that.  You too can make your system (somewhat) less secure.  :)
>

> Mark Post

> send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or
> visit

Hello!
Mark is right. That's what happens on this fellow, he's running
Slackware 11.0 (Intel) with the usual cluster of security stuff, and
some options from other sources.

Ideally it should be documented in an easy to understand format someplace.

Consider what happened when a fellow member saw his system go through
the classic fsck function. If the system discovered a really
outrageous problem that itself could not repair it would drop into
single user mode and invite that user to enter the root password and
follow the listed there steps to repair the damage if possible.

Incidentally Mark the advice both you and David B provided concerning
those problems were spot-on and exactly what I would have done if I
saw it first, and more importantly, knew what to post and how to post
it.

--
Gregg C Levine [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"This signature was once found posting rude