Short answer - Yes

Longer answer.  Current tools have them using ssh to access the console
server and then from there to the Linux system. We are trying to see if
that same environment (ASCII based ssh) can be used and eliminate the
need to teach 3270 . (Obviously if we have to, we have to).

The administration of the userid's in the console server are done by the
Unix Support team -- administration of the equivalent on z/VM would be
in RACF -- again a learning curve unless done by the Mainframe side of
the teams.

(I'm fighting the classic battles of "That's not how we do it on xxx
platform -- we can't accept solution yyyy") .

"Email Firewall" made the following annotations.

Warning:
All e-mail sent to this address will be received by the corporate e-mail
system, and is subject to archival and review by someone other than the
recipient.  This e-mail may contain proprietary information and is intended
only for the use of the intended recipient(s).  If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that you have received this
message in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in
error, please notify the sender immediately.