On Thursday, 01/10/2008 at 03:30 EST, Jerry Whitteridge
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Our UNIX folks are used to accessing a console server and doing the
> authentication there before accessing the Linux console. They are asking
> what we can do to emulate that type of configuration while running under
> z/VM, especially as there then becomes 1 additional place for
> Userid's/Passwords to be maintained (z/VM RACF). Currently root console
> access is via 3270 emulator to VM and using logonby to the particular
> server.
>
> I'd really like to be able to allow the Operators/Support/Engineers on
> the Unix side not have to learn the 3270/EBCDIC/Mainframe world, just to
> get root access to change the init level or fix a broken server.
> We recognize that eventually both teams will need knowledge of the other
> team, but the learning curve is steep right now and we are trying to
> minimize the differences from what they are used to running.

I'm not sure I understand the learning curve problem.

1. Telnet to the VM host (linemode is ok if you don't want 3270 stuff)
2. Enter LOGON userid BY myid and then your password
3. Make changes using Linux linemode toolset

If two logons is one too many, get rid of the authentication prompt in
Linux for the console.

You can change the user's VM password to NOPASS, enabling unauthenticated
access to the virtual machine console.  But before you do that,  I suggest
removing all CP commands (except DISCONNECT) from the user.  Otherwise
anyone could walk up and destroy, plunder, or corrupt the virtual machine.
 CP commands would be limited to those issued in the CP directory when the
user logs on.  Of course, the issue of accessing the mainframe and
entering the userid (if not the password) is still very much present.

If the guest's network connections are disabled, then there is no VT220
access to the guest except via the HMC's integrated VT220 console.  Only
one guest at a time can use the VT220 console.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott