> Has anyone begun using linux tools (awk, rrdtool, MySQL, etc) to
> manipulate, store, report the data in the VM accounting cards? I
haven't
> had to report on VM's accounting data for several years now and the
> product used for that task has been removed. There is now a high level
> interest in mainframe usage and although my IFL is not involved in
this
> round of reporting, I would like to get back into having a regular
> accounting database. I can use any package freely available for SLES10
> on zSeries but I cannot buy anything for either linux or z/VM.
>
> Any wheels out there that don't need to be reinvented (just adjusted)?

I don't think there's anything out there that specifically eats VM
accounting cards, but there are rrdtool interfaces to Big Brother/Hobbit
data, I think. That would at least give you summary utilization info
over time, and some guest-level data if you have snmpd enabled on the
guests. You'll probably have to build from source, but that shouldn't be
too tough.

I had some S macros that did some analysis and graphs, but the latest
version of S doesn't seem to like them any more, and I don't have time
to fix them.

-- db