z/VM 5.1 to 5.3 upgrade handholding

We are starting our upgrade from z/VM 5.1 to z/VM 5.3. We use z/VM
strictly for Linux. We are all old MVSers that originally installed z/VM
5.1. Now we are rethinking our z/VM installation and maintenance
methodology. We have talked to various VMers but have become overwhelmed
with the many methods of accomplishing this. Here is what we wish to do.

We wish to install z/VM 5.3 as a second level guest in our current z/VM
5.1 system. We wish to develop an environment where we can test the hell
out of it and once we are happy with it, we wish to implement it into
production by simply changing the IPL address for our z/VM LPAR. This
methodology will hold true for z/VM maintenance as well. Another words, we
will always have a production and a test z/VM. This is not uncommon as we
all know.

We have chosen to install second level using FTP from the install DVD on a
Linux server. We are calling our second level VM VMTESTSV and created the
following entry (please provide comments if this entry is not all that it
can be).

USER VMTESTSV VMTES530 256M 256M BG
   ACCOUNT SYSTEMS
   IPL CMS
   MACH XA
   OPTION LNKNOPAS
   CONSOLE 0009 3215
   NICDEF 0600 TYPE QDIO LAN SYSTEM VSWTCH00
   SPOOL 000C 2540 READER *
   SPOOL 000D 2540 PUNCH A
   SPOOL 000E 1403 A
   LINK MAINT 0190 0190 RR
   LINK MAINT 019E 019E RR
   MDISK 0191 3390 371 25 VMUSR0 MR
   MDISK 2222 3390 241 5 VMUSR0 MR
   MDISK 22CC 3390 246 5 VMUSR0 MR
   MDISK 2CF1 3390 251 120 VMUSR0 MR

We will install z/VM to the following DASD volsers:

Pack Type       Prod            Test
RES             530RES  (can we change this volser?)
SPOOL   VMSPLP  VMSPLT
PAGE            VMPAGP  VMPAGT
USER1   VMWK01  VMWK01  (shared)
USER2   VMWK02  VMWK02  (shared)
USER3   VMWK03  VMWK03  (shared)

I know, we have to migrate our customization and users over after we
install. Let?s say we do all that and completed our testing and are ready
for production implementation.

We wish to copy the RES volume to another volser and IPL the LPAR from
that address. Is this possible and what will be involved? Are we on the
right track?

Go slow, remember we are old MVSers and very young VMers. Thanks as
always.

Peter
This Email message and any attachment may contain information that is
proprietary, legally privileged, confidential and/or subject to copyright
belonging to Pepco Holdings, Inc. or its affiliates ("PHI").  This Email is
intended solely for the use of the person(s) to which it is addressed.  If
you are not an intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for
delivery of this Email to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this Email is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please immediately
notify the sender and permanently delete this Email and any copies.  PHI
policies expressly prohibit employees from making defamatory or offensive
statements and infringing any copyright or any other legal right by Email
communication.  PHI will not accept any liability in respect of such
communications.