From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Tom Duerbusch
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 2:06 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: z/VM 5.1 to 5.3 upgrade ( a little handholding requested)

In effect, it is too hard to come up with something generic.  Why?  Because
each of our systems can be very, very different.

For example, the easiest way to do this, is to have plenty of resources.  DUH!

1.  If you have plenty of memory, get an LPAR for your test system.  And then
expose only those disks that you need for that LPAR.  However, if you are
memory tight, bring up your test system, second level.    You will use a lot
less memory, and only use that memory when needed.  But now you start needing
more VM skills.

2.  DASD.  Copy full volumes, if you have them.  If you have  a test LPAR, you
can keep the same volume labels.  You can too, with second level VM, but now
you start needing more VM skills.  Such as keeping your production VM system,
from using your test packs (remember duplicate names), if/when your production
system is reipled.  Not for people that don't know what they are doing!  So
relabeling packs is a better way to go, but you also need different VM skills.
BTW, when you really know what you are doing, you can bring up a second level
VM system, with very little additional disk space (few hundred cylinders).

3.  DASD again.  Did you keep all your VM related stuff on VM only packs and
keep your guest related stuff off of the VM packs?  Did you expand your SFS
space and put the additional minidisks across other packs that are primarly
used for your guests?  If so, then you need more VM skills to replicate a test
system.  Not just copying packs, but copying and moving those minidisks to
other packs for your test system.  OR do you just wipe out and recreate VMSYSU
on your test systems?

4.  DASD again.  Do you really need xx paging and spool packs for your test
system?

Answering each one of these questions, will cause the entire cloning process to
be different.  It's a trade off between the cost of system resources for the VM
clone, and the cost of a qualified VM system's programmer.

Perhaps the cost of DASD will get to the point, that we will just give a
standard 20 volumes to each VM system.  Cost of resources vs the cost of
accessing qualified people.

So, IMHO, writing a Redbook, or something, on this issue, would be good for
5-10% of the shops that don't have a qualified VM systems programmer, and
fairly useless for the other 90% of the shops without a qualified VM systems
programmer.  It would be of mild interest to the shops that do have a VM
systems programmer.

As a consultant, each place I go to, is entirely different from most other
shops that I've been to.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

Law of Cat Acceleration

  A cat will accelerate at a constant rate, until he gets good and
  ready to stop.

>>> Stewart Thomas J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 5/14/2008 1:32 PM

Just wanted to add to this - I'm also a z/OS person turn z/VM person. Yeah
these are two different OS'es but the z/OS maintenance/upgrade is so easy
sometimes when the OS is just on a few disk volumes and you take the LPAR down,
point to the new sysres, and bring it back up. To back off, you do the reverse.
All the user data is on non-OS volumes and is retained across.

I seriously struggled through my z/VM 5.2 to z/VM 5.3 migration. I just don't
have a handle on things like being able to carry my spool volumes with me
between releases (I just left all my data behind and started new). And being
able to segregate out my own config files and users to carry those through to
the new system. It's a major shift from how z/OS does it. And with all of the
z/VM shops doing it differently it makes it hard for newbies.

Isn't there a single best practice that can be documented for shops running
only Linux? Some way to lay out the minidisks and users to make this easier?

Yes there are some IBM scripts and utilities that are making strides towards
simplification, but it seems we are a long way off from where we could be. My
own upgrade process ended up being many steps and it just seems like there
should be a simpler way, hopefully someone that found the light can share with
others.

Tom Stewart
Infrastructure Analyst
John Deere - z/OS Support Services