>>> On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at  9:54 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Erik N Johnson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
-snip-
> I would therefor encourage people to choose file systems based on
> their relative merits, rather than concerns over continued
> development.

By and large, I agree with what you said.  Open Source software can have a life
long after the original developer(s) have stopped developing it.  In this case,
however, reality intrudes.  One of the major reasons the openSUSE project made
EXT3 their default file system was because they were themselves concerned about
the future development of reiserfs.  This was before any hint of legal trouble
had arisen.  The fact of the matter is, not very many people are currently
hacking on reiserfs, and not very many people are interested in starting.  For
companies that commit themselves to support what they ship, that's a big issue.
 If there's not enough experienced talent to maintain it properly, you don't
want it to be your default.  As a result, SLE11 will also have EXT3 as the
default file system.  Reiserfs will continue to be shipped and supported, but
you'll have to manually select it during the install to get it.

When you add in the recent legal events, continuing to create _new_ systems
with reiserfs is a major concern for businesses.  One which is easily avoidable
by switching to EXT3 now for new builds, before it becomes the default.  There
have been technical issues as well, and not too far in the past.  When Linux
for the mainframe first came out, reiserfs was not big-endian safe (and I'm not
sure about 64-bit safe).  Even after that was corrected, Adam Thornton had at
least once instance where reiserfs ate his data on a system under heavy load.
All in all, enough to make someone running a business to worry.

Given the nature of what this email contains, I feel compelled to give the
standard disclaimers here.  Speaking only for myself, not Novell, etc.