On Thursday, 07/10/2008 at 11:48 EDT, "Fargusson.Alan"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> NEL is defined in ISO8859-1 as code point 0x85.  In 8859-1 there are
control
> characters in the range of 0x80 to 0x9f as well as 0x00 to 0x1f.  Lots
of
> documentation on 8859-1 skip the control characters, so many folks don't

> realize this.
>
> I assume that NL is short for newline.  A newline is the same thing as a

> linefeed or LF in Unix and Linux.  It is just a different name for the
same
> thing.  In EBCDIC codepage 1047 there is a newline at codepoint 15 and a

> linefeed at codepoint 25.  This leads to some confusion in various
conversion
> tables.  To add to the confusion z/OS Unix uses newline (15) as the end
of
> line.  So if you convert linefeed to linefeed when converting from
8859-1
> things don't work.  Because of this many EBCDIC to 8859-1 conversion
tables
> convert newline to linefeed, and linefeed to NEL.
>
> Have I mentioned my intense dislike for EBCDIC before?

:-)  I find the myriad codepages in EBCDIC and ASCII to be annoying.
Unicode is far, far simpler.  As soon as we get all the hardware and the
software updated, and don't have to worry about compatibility with old
hardware and software, things will be better!  It's too bad that only our
children's children will be able to experience it!  ;-)

Thanks for the information.  For some reason (age? naah...) I failed to
notice NEL in my copy of ISO 8859-1!!

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott