On Thursday 21 Aug 2008, Mark Post wrote:
> > zlinux:~ # zgrep 3270 /proc/config.gz
> > CONFIG_TN3270=m
> > CONFIG_TN3270_TTY=m
> > CONFIG_TN3270_FS=m
> >
> > I am fairly sure I have read that console support must be built into the
> > kernel.
>
> Yes.  What version of the kernel are you running?  I tested with
> 2.6.16.54-0.2.8-default.

2.6.16.46-0.12-default. I am currently trying to workout how to do an upgrade
but I am using the SP1 starter system and documentation seems sparse.

> > zlinux:~ # vmcp q term
> > Error: Could not open device /dev/vmcp: No such file or directory
> >
> > I am not using VM. :)
>
> Bummer.  You should so something about that, i.e., contact your IBM rep.

Possibly a problem there. I am currently unemployed and this is a home-based
self-improvement project, all running on Hercules. (Watch support magically
vanish into the distance...)

I will wait for the improved Device Driver manual since I really want to get
this going under Gentoo.

-Robin
Robin Atwood.

         from "Mandalay" by Rudyard Kipling