<2 cents>
Also, certain supposedly "modern" mail programs make threading awkward to
use, so the goal with those is quote the whole thing so that the fewest
number of posts have to be kept, in order to have a copy of (or be able to
find) the whole thread.  On the other hand, if you receive a list in
"digest" mode, that technique can be an abomination.  It'd be cool if list
servers gave, in addition to the current options of "send as digest" and
"send individual posts", something like "send as threads".
</2 cents>

Douglas

Re: [LINUX-390] List FAQ etc

David Boyes
to:
LINUX-390
08/25/2008 11:07 AM

Sent by:
Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>
Please respond to Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

> I don't believe that everyone believes in pruning out everything. Many
> people reply at the top. If for no other reason than replies can be
kept
> in context. I don't want to start a war about email etiquette here,
just
> to say that I believe that not everyone agrees with points 3 & 4
below.

I think more of us have simply given up trying to get people to do 3 &
4. Most of the "modern" workstation mail readers make it quite difficult
to do in a reasonable manner, and those of us still reading mail with
MAILBOOK and Pine (with proper mail editors like Emacs) just can't stem
the tide.

There are times where I really miss low bandwidth communications, where
the size of transfers actually mattered. That drove most of the
reasoning behind pruning out unnecessary stuff, and I think it helped
the clarity of the conversation. But, I'm old and cranky now, so I'll
shut up.

-- db

<<image/gif>>